Ever found yourself looking for a bible study topic or a bible discussion question? Well the aim of this page is to provide a list of potential topic ideas that you may find useful when searching for something to study or for a discussion point. The topics below will come in handy when looking preparing for personal bible study, group bible studies, ice breaker discussion points and other scenarios where a topic is required.
Scroll down for the list of thought-provoking questions.
Contents of this post
- Thought Provoking Bible study discussion questions
- Small Group Discussion Question about Deeds and actions
- Advanced Thought Provoking Doctrinal Questions
- Bible study topics for youth
- Bible study topics for discussion
- Bible study topics for women’s groups
- Discussion questions for those who believe in the second coming of Christ
- Bible study topics PDF
Thought Provoking Bible discussion questions
These are great for small groups or personal bible study.
- Did Christ come to the world to deal with God’s wrath on man because of their sin, or did Christ come to the world to take away sin, or Another better reason?
- Did Christ possess the nature of Adam after the fall or before the fall?
- “Christ did not need to fast for forty days because of inward corruption, or to subdue self. He was sinless. It was on our account that He fasted.” What do you think of this passage do you agree?
- Did Jesus experience God’s wrath on the cross?
- Did Jesus commit suicide when he died on the cross?
- Did Jesus resurrect himself?
- Jesus was fully divine, but did He use His divinity to maintain the connection, or did He maintain His connection with the Father as a human being would, by faith and trust in the Father?
- What has Jesus been doing since he ascended back into heaven?
- What put(killed) Jesus on the cross, was it sin, or was it God, or another reason?
- Read John 1:1-3 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.
- What do we learn about Jesus from this passage? Was there a time Jesus didn’t exist? Was there anything made that didn’t come through Jesus? What type of being is described in this passage? (A creator, a God) Who then, is Jesus?
- What is this mystery of which Paul writes to the Ephesians and to the Colossians? (See Colossians 1:26)
- Did the system of animal sacrifices, circumcision of the body, feasts provide salvation?
- Did a person have to participate in that system to be saved?
- You’re sitting on a plane, you’ve got a 2 hour flight and the person next to you says, what is salvation? What do you tell them? What are we being saved from?
- Can you sin and still make it to heaven?
- When looking at the old testament tabernacle/sanctuary which direction should we direct our study? Should we use the Old Testament Sanctuary to understand the gospel, or should we use the gospel to understand the sanctuary? Or other?
Small Group Discussion Question about Deeds and Actions
- Is sin a problem of deeds, actions, or a problem of the heart that is manifested in the actions? Can a person do an act, which appears good, but which is actually evil? Can a person do an act, which appears evil, but is actually good? examples:
- What about the husband, whose wife has a massive stroke is brain dead, so he pulls the plug and lets her die? Could it be that he fulfilled a promise he made to her to not let her exist in a vegetative state and thus it was an act of great love? or maybe he has a girlfriend on the side for years and he can’t marry his girlfriend until the wife is dead?
Advanced Thought Provoking Doctrinal Questions
- What is original sin?
- Is it possible to talk to the dead?
- Should we as Christians fight the fight of faith or fight the fight of sin(Romans 7)?
- What is the seal of God vs Mark of the beast?
- Jesus said “And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached unto all the world for a witness, and then shall the end come”. Which kingdom is being spoken of here?
- Consider this passage: “The matter of greatest importance in the universe is not the salvation of men, important as that may seem. The most important thing is the clearing of God’s name from the false accusations made by Satan. The controversy is drawing to a close. God is preparing His people for the last great conflict. Satan is also getting ready. The issue is before us and will be decided in the lives of God’s people. God is depending upon us as He did upon job. Is His confidence well placed?” (ML Andreasen, 1947) Do you agree with this? If so, why? If not, why?
- Read 1 Timothy 6:16 – Who is this light unapproachable to?
- Do you believe that you are saved?
Bible study topics for youth & college students
- Forgiveness, feeling hurt & holding grudges
- Dealing with temptation
- The importance of prayer
- How to work hard and having fun at School/University whilst maintaining your christian beliefs
- Bullying and how to deal with it
- How to have the zeal to be a true disciple for Christ
- Handling peer pressure
- Doctrines every young christian should understand
- Dating and relationship
- Importance of obedience
- I don’t have many Christian friends, will this impact my faith?
- The Importance of tithes & offering
- Avoiding and overcoming alcohol & drugs
- Dealing with insecurities
- Is there a right way and wrong to dress as a christian?
- How can I increase my faith?
- How important is baptism?
- Dealing with depression
Bible study topics for discussion
- How to know God’s will for your life?
- Considering that there are a vast amount of christian denominations, does it matter what denomination I belong to?
- What is the right balance between understanding the importance of faith and works?
- Practical lessons of life that can be learnt from the sermon on the mount
- God’s Love
- Guard the senses
- What does the bible teach about good health? (e.g. nutrition, exercise etc)
- Sermon on the mount
- The purpose of the Holy Spirit
- Understanding bible prophecies
- Lessons we can learn from the old testament tabernacle/sanctuary
- Last Day events
- Who is Jesus?
- The Second coming of Christ
- The Godhead
- Nature of Christ
- Original Sin
- What’s the best bible interpretation to use?
- The Covenants in the bible
- True sanctification
Bible study topics for women’s groups
- How to know and understand your calling
- Spreading the gospel in your local communities
- How to be a godly example to children
- Freedom in Christ
- Dealing with disappointment
- Parenting & the challenges that come with it
- Women in the bible
- How to avoid believing the lies that are common in Christendom
Discussion questions for those who believe in the second coming of Christ
- Why are you waiting for the second coming?
- How should we wait for the second coming of Christ?
- Is there some role we have in impacting the timeline of Christ’s return?
- How do you relate to last day events, do you pray for a delay?